Our Online Courses
Our Online Courses
Join online courses taught by pro guides of the Outdoor Adventure Club
Each 90 minute class is taught by a live instructor, on Zoom, with time for Q&A during and after the course.
Online classes are free to OAC members! Non-members are welcome and can purchase classes one at a time.
Best deal!!! Subscribe to all our classes for $100. The $100 Online Subscription gives access to all our classes for 6 months.
We have online avalanche classes, navigation/ CalTopo.com and rock climbing classes. We’ll keep adding classes, especially while we are sheltering in place.
Avalanche classes include:
- What is avalanche terrain?
- Parts of the avalanche advisory
- The nine avalanche types or problems
- Storm slabs and wind slabs
- Surface Hoar
- Facets and rounds- snowpack metamorphism
- Spring avalanche problems
- Knowledge check: How much do you know about the nine avalanche problems, and defining your safety margin around each problem
- Opening and closing terrain on CalTopo, with defined margins from the avalanche advisory
- Where are you going, based on the avalanche advisory?
- How to read a snowpit chart
Navigation classes include:
- How to read a map, for “I’m not a map person”
- CalTopo pt 1; A comprehensive tour of the basics (what you need to know to use CalTopo in an avalanche class)
- CalTopo pt 2; DEM models, or how to have CalTopo highlight specific terrain
- CalTopo pt 3; Using DEM models to show open/closed terrain and your route, based on an avalanche advisory
Rock climbing classes include:
- Anchoring basics
- Building anchors off of trees, boulders
- Belaying from above
- Setting up a 3:1 haul system
Here are our currently scheduled online learning courses. Check back often, as we are always adding more great classes. Have a topic you’d like to see in an online learning format? Just let us know.