Our Online Courses
Scroll down to see the schedule
Join online courses taught by pro guides of the Outdoor Adventure Club
Each 90 minute class is taught by a live instructor, on Zoom, with time for Q&A during and after the course.
Online classes are free to OAC members! Non-members are welcome and can purchase classes one at a time.
Best deal!!! Subscribe to all our classes for $100. The $100 Online Subscription gives access to all our classes for 6 months.
We have online avalanche classes, navigation/ CalTopo.com and rock climbing classes. We’ll keep adding classes, especially while we are sheltering in place.
Avalanche classes include:
- What is avalanche terrain
- Parts of the avalanche advisory
- The nine avalanche types or problems
- Surface Hoar
- Facets and rounds- snowpack metamporphism
- Storm slabs and wind slabs
- Defining your safety margins around the nine avalanche problems
- Knowledge check: How much do you know about the nine avalanche problems
- Opening and closing terrain on CalTopo, with defined margins from the avalanche advisory
Navigation classes include:
- How to read a map, for “I’m not a map person”
- CalTopo pt 1; A comprehensive tour of the basics
- CalTopo pt 2; Using CalTopo to show open/closed terrain
Rock climbing classes include:
- Anchoring basics
- Building anchors off of trees, boulders
- Belaying from above
- Setting up a 3:1 haul system
Here are our currently scheduled online learning courses. Check back often, as we are always adding more great classes. Have a topic you’d like to see in an online learning format? Just let us know.
The Outdoor Adventure Club also offers hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, hiking and camping, kayaking, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, backountry skiing/boarding, avalanche courses, snowshoeing, and other adventures. Go to our full Event Calendar!