Our Online Courses
Scroll down to see the schedule
Join online courses taught by pro guides of the Outdoor Adventure Club
Each 90 minute class is taught by a live instructor, on Zoom, with time for Q&A during and after the course.
Online classes are free to OAC members! Non-members are welcome and can purchase classes one at a time.
Best deal!!! Subscribe to all our classes for $100. The $100 Online Subscription gives access to all our classes for 6 months.
We have online avalanche classes, navigation/ CalTopo.com and rock climbing classes. We’ll keep adding classes, especially while we are sheltering in place.
Avalanche classes include:
- What is avalanche terrain?
- Parts of the avalanche advisory
- The nine avalanche types or problems
- Storm slabs and wind slabs
- Surface Hoar
- Facets and rounds- snowpack metamorphism
- Spring avalanche problems
- Knowledge check: How much do you know about the nine avalanche problems, and defining your safety margin around each problem
- Opening and closing terrain on CalTopo, with defined margins from the avalanche advisory
- Where are you going, based on the avalanche advisory?
- How to read a snowpit chart
Navigation classes include:
- How to read a map, for “I’m not a map person”
- CalTopo pt 1; A comprehensive tour of the basics (what you need to know to use CalTopo in an avalanche class)
- CalTopo pt 2; DEM models, or how to have CalTopo highlight specific terrain
- CalTopo pt 3; Using DEM models to show open/closed terrain and your route, based on an avalanche advisory
Rock climbing classes include:
- Anchoring basics
- Building anchors off of trees, boulders
- Belaying from above
- Setting up a 3:1 haul system
Here are our currently scheduled online learning courses. Check back often, as we are always adding more great classes. Have a topic you’d like to see in an online learning format? Just let us know.
The Outdoor Adventure Club also offers hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, hiking and camping, kayaking, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, backountry skiing/boarding, avalanche courses, snowshoeing, and other adventures. Go to our full Event Calendar!